Friday 7 October 2016

Predictable Browns: Cleveland Browns v Baltimore Ravens NFL 18 September 2016

Another day into our Road Trip, and another ball game.

At least it is called football this time, even if it is American Football and played with an odd shaped ball. Some would describe it as rugby for wimps.

Today was the opening day of the NFL season and Cleveland were at home. All my friends told me that the Browns were not very good. In fact it appears they were very successful in the 1950's but have done nothing since then. Sounds a lot like Newcastle United then. We should be in good company.

The Browns play in a fantastic looking stadium on the shore of Lake Erie, next to the International Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I am told that the ground is only used for approximately 11 matches a season. Its amazing such a huge ground is only used so few times. I would love to understand the finances. Having said that my tickets cost me $93 dollars and was way up in the God's.

The ground is in a fantastic location, next  to the Great Lake and very near the local airport and the town centre. 




We started the day with a great home cooked American breakfast, We then took my host Phil back to collect his car from its overnight Prison in Cleveland. I drove into Downtown Cleveland and parked in a car park a short walk from the ground, but ensured I checked when it was locked! THanks for the warning Phil. Parking was only $25. A positive bargain.

Walking towards the ground, we walked through the tailgate party. got to say I have seen better, but it was worth it for a beer.




You will note the shorts and sunglasses, despite being on the Northern USA border. The weather in Ohio all our stay was in the high 80s Fahrenheit. or more.

The ground was  very near the tailgate party, well it was if you went the right route. We ended up walking round the ground and then some to find our entrance.

Once we found the ground, security at games was very tight. Metal detectors, individual searches etc. It seems that people are advised not to take bags and backpacks etc are not allowed. Those who did have bags had see through bags like you use with hand luggage. No one told me in advance, so I had my back pack. Can you see the potential problem?

No, neither could the security staff as I got into the ground without either me or my bag being searched or my ticket being checked. Top security!

So into the ground and up several escalators to our seats in the Gods in this magnificent stadium








So, the game itself. The Browns started like an express train, roaring to a 20-0 lead early in the first 1/4 of the game (15 minutes game time, but takes 40 minutes!). Sadly, after that they proceeded like a British Rail train and never scored again, finally going down 20-25 and confirming the views of  many in Northern Ohio!

The game was entertaining and enjoyable to watch, but the crowd were even more entertaining. I think its fair to say that the make up of the football crowd was rather more down market than the crowd at the baseball game the night before. I think it is not unfair to say there was a large red neck contingent certainly in the section we were in.

Drink was even more expensive than at the baseball, $12 per can. The food was equally as expensive, yet despite this people were drinking and eating loads.

One interesting thing was that on the walkway where the toilets and food concessions are were signs to indicate where were areas to shelter in the event of severe weather. It is a reminder that Ohio does experience extremes of weather. Although it was sunny and 90f when we were there, it does get extremes of weather

A game that has 60 minutes of action lasted nearly 4 hours! Only in the USA. However, I am surprised that FIFA don't adopt the same approach, imagine the extra TV money they could demand if there were advert breaks every couple of minutes.

Would I go again to an NFL game? I would, but am not sure I would be arranging my holiday around the date of an NFL game unless it happened to be the Super Bowl.







No comments:

Post a Comment